I’m excited to introduce the first of many inspiring interior features to come along with a little weekend travel guide for the Hudson Valley / Catskills area of upstate New York from our trip there this past November. When we had a chance to hop up to Hudson Wood’s beautiful modern cabin for a stay courtesy of Brick and Wonder, an agency that curates the most amazing real estate in the world, the stuff dreams are made of, no joke. Give them a look for more dream homes than I can handle, and follow them on Instagram for constant inspiration. I hope to have the chance to photograph more of their interiors—a girl can dream. We, obviously, jumped at the opportunity as a) it made a perfect first trip away from home for Eula & a quiet getaway as a family with lots of fires and farm stalls and b) look at this house. We even managed to catch the very last of the fiery autumn leaves. The home is full of furniture and objects by local makers & artisans, and the space itself is a modern take on a cabin in the woods with walls of windows and an open kitchen & living area. Find interior photos, and a link to sources for the furniture, goods, and appliances in the house, and a long list of our favorite spots, eats, and shops in the area for a weekend upstate! Either that or you could just hole up here, build a fire, and never leave…
A Weekend Travel Guide to Upstate New York and the Hudson Valley
- WM Farmer & Sons -William Farmer & Sons is a hotel and restaurant in Hudson. The food is fresh and the space is intentionally designed to fit the beautiful bones of the historic boarding house. Grab some oysters & a craft cocktail for sure.
- Fern Handcrafted Furniture – Inspired by Scandinavian designs, Fern incorporates the natural landscapes of the Hudson Valley in making their clean, simple pieces. Their showroom is in downtown Hudson and is open by appointment during the week and during the afternoons on weekends.
- Talbott & Arding – Talbott & Arding is the place to stock up on groceries. They’re stocked with products from local farmers and artisans, and they make delicious prepared foods. The perfect place to gather your provisions for your stay in the Valley.
- Red Chair Antiques – With a beautiful collection of French, Swedish, and Belgian pieces, this antiquary is a must visit.
- Gaskin’s – A modern bistro started by a couple hailing from some of New York City’s most celebrated establishments over the past decade, Gaskin’s menu is a mingling of the City’s gastronomic expression and the valleys agricultural richness. Definitely worth a stop.
- Suarez Family Brewery – Suarez Family Brewery opened in the summer of 2016 and is already making a name for itself. Focusing on Pilsner and mixed fermentation beers, there are always a range of options to choose from at their tasting room.
- Phoenicia Diner – The classic roadside diner. But with locally sourced ingredients. Get the biscuits and gravy. Or anything for that matter. This is not a spot to be missed; definitely make a stop (or three) here.
Brunette Wine Bar – A cute, little “la cave du vin” in the valley. A small but meticulous wine list pairs well with an ever rotating menu of light dishes.
- Migliorelli Farm Stand – Migliorerai Farm Stands are family run and spread out around the Hudson Valley. The farm was started in 1933 and boasts a large variety of fruits, vegetables, and local homemade products.
- Kingston Wine Co. – Kingston Wine Company has both a brilliant wines & cider selection and a friendly staff keen on helping you try the best of upstate as well as elsewhere. Opened by Michael and Theresa Drapkin, the two have combined their collective expertise for wine and design to craft a truly exceptional experience. You get the feeling of old world connections to the soil and the vine mixed with of a new world appreciation for local food and beverage.
- Hops Petunia Florist – An art director turned florist, Kelli Galloway offers an array of local, seasonal flowers while curating a hand selected, Japanese inspired shop.
- Clove & Creek – A home good store specializing in handmade, artisan products from all over the US.
- Montgomery Place Orchards – Upstate New York has a long tradition of apple orchards and Montgomery Place Orchards takes great pride in preserving that tradition. They grow apples they believe are representative of the region and prefer quality and variety over quantity.
Mohonk Preserve – The vast canopy of wild forest and myriad rock formations make Mohonk Preserve a favorite for hikers, climbers, and sightseers alike. It is representative of the majestic beauty of the Hudson Valley and protects 8,000 acres of mountain ridges, forests, fields, streams, ponds, and other unique and beautiful places.Minnewaska Lake – Minnewaska Lake offers beautiful views & walks perfect for an afternoon respite.
To create this look in your space or just get some inspiration, click here for a list of the makers used to create this home. A complete list of resources from appliances to flooring, furniture, decor, and more. And another thanks to Brick + Wonder for making our cabin dreams come true.