Nothing about this week has been “business as usual.” For what feels like the first time in my lifetime, the entire world has turned its focus to a unifying crisis — the COVID-19 pandemic. Jobs are being lost by the thousands, whole industries are on the brink of breakdown, schools are closed, and for so many, going into work feels like entering a warzone. People are afraid of each other, of touching things, of the future. Conversations about anxiety and mental health are at an all-time high. Our lives are being disrupted and reshaped in very challenging ways almost overnight. It’s a lot. On top of everything, we’re trying to figure out what to do while we’re in isolation to keep our lives moving forward and keep our sanity while we’re at it.
As important as it is for us to all stay informed about the developing pandemic, hitting refresh on the newsfeed a hundred times a day and stewing in fear is only going to make the isolation harder. We still need to laugh, learn, move our bodies, create, eat good food, and hold those we are isolated with.
I’ve created a little round-up this week of events and resources all across the internet of things you can do, watch, and learn while you’re hibernating at home. People all across the globe are coming up with creative ways to keep connecting and growing, and I want to share some of them with you!
I’ve also put together a little Spotify playlist of “Quarantunes.” Songs most of us have probably heard that offer a little lighthearted poke at the current state of affairs. Like I said, we’ve still got to laugh, and listening to MC Hammer’s “You Can’t Touch This” right now offers an entirely new perspective on the 90s hit.
Click the link below to open the playlist in your Spotify account!
- Dancing on My Own – Robyn
- Don’t Stand So Close to Me – The Police
- New World Coming – Mama Cass
- It’s The End of The World – REM
- Don’t You Forget About Me – Simple Minds
- Isolation – John Lennon
- I Think We’re Alone Now – Tiffany
- All By Myself – Eric Carmen
- U Can’t Touch This – MC Hammer
- Glad I’m Alive – Def Leppard
- Tired of Being Alone – Al Green
- Dancing With Myself – Billy Idol
- Alone – Heart
- Make Your Own Kinda Music – Mama Cass
What To Do, Watch, Learn, and Listen to During Isolation
- Learn how to piece a scrap quilt with Folk Fibers Marie Ambrose.
- Follow Jamie Beck of Ann Street Studio on Instagram Stories as she creates her daily #isolationcreation photo.
- “Quarantine Productions” Daily Euphorium shorts from Cottage 8 Films.
- Join Dance Church this Sunday (3/22/2020) at 10am PST / 1pm EST for a remote LIVE dance party.
- 100 Screen-Free things to do with kids at home!
- Take a virtual tour of a museum.
- Cannelle Vanille’s Aran Goyoaga is doing an IG LIVE on Friday (3/20/2020) at 9am PST answering questions about gluten-free bread baking!
- Learn how to do breathwork on Friday (3/20/2020) at 5pm PST with Molly Hayward via Blood + Milk’s IG LIVE.
- A FREE 50 minute meditation and yoga class ℅ The Remedy Works on Blood + Milk’s IG LIVE Saturday (3/21/2020) at 9am PST.
- Pandemica Online: FREE LIVE Music on FB Live ALL WEEKEND LONG. (3/21 – 3/22)
- Join A Daily Something’s Live Slow Challenge that gets delivered to your inbox weekly!
- Check out Ponderosa and Thyme’s brand new online meditation “Sun Shines Eternal” and try out the Ponderosa online classroom FREE for 3 days!
- Melissa Griffin’s new 5-day, FREE Digital Retreat “The Limitless Entrepreneur.”
- Have a Netflix Party with anyone, anywhere (as long as they have Netflix, too)!
- Headspace is offering some free meditations, sleep and movement exercises called “Weathering the Storm” to people who are needing some extra support during this time of crisis.
I hope a few of these links help you pass the extra time at home with intention and bring you some hopeful peace.
xo – Beth